This is a 39 unit systematic sequential phonics word study organizer based on the Common Core and research from the National Reading Panel. We all teach differently and I wanted to provide a structure for you to be able to teach the units each week in the way that works best for you. This can be used alone, or with any word study program, GUIDED READING, or for interventions for RTI.
I used a race car theme to show that words such as CVC should be read quickly. This supports DIBELS and AIMSWEB. These words are on green racecars. Words that follow a spelling pattern/rule are yellow racecars. Phonetically irregular spelled words are the red racecars. These sight words are called "red words" in PROJECT READ.
Included in this download:
* 39 week organizer that lists the spelling skill for each week. I included five words to give students and/or put on your word wall for each unit. There are two sizes for all the words.
* Table of all word wall words in alphabetical order with unit number when taught
* There are blank cars that are larger for students to write their words and color their cars the appropriate color. I hole-punch these cars for my students to put onto a word ring.
* I have word wheels that give reminders of the spelling patterns we have learned. I put these on my word wall, but they can also be hole-punched and put onto the word rings. There are 2 sizes.
• I have included dictated sentences for you to give students at the end of the week to assess students. It is important for them to be able to transfer their knowledge into their writing. They are also showing their knowledge of the distinguishing features of a sentence (capitalization, ending punctuation).
I have activities that go with these units that integrate math and word study together. I will be posting them soon! :)