This has been a project two months in the making! I recently attended a GLAD (Guided Language Acquisition Design) workshop and it inspired me to create this rain forest unit for my 2nd graders.
This was a month-long unit of study for my class and it concluded in their very first research report! The kids LOVED learning about the rain forest and it was my favorite part of the day!
It also covers Next Generation Science Standard 2-LS4-1: make observations of plants and animals to compare the diversity of life in different habitats.
This HUGE unit includes the following:
* Photos/Words/Labels to create your very own rain forest big book
* Visual directions showing how the unit unfolds
* Photos and ideas for GLAD-inspired anchor charts, resources, and activities used in the unit
* A 21-page student "mini book" with activities, pictures and the words from the big book
* 33 Word wall cards with pictures
* Mini word-wall card for writing center/individual use
* Differentiated graphic organizers for the animal reports
Check out my blog Teaching's a Hoot for more information about my rain forest unit!