Helen Cowcher tells the moving story of what is happening in the rain forest with powerful words and illustrations that invite visualization and begins students thinking of the way people must learn to care for their environment. This journal includes comprehension questions in close reading format, graphic organizers, constructed response questions, vocabulary cards and much more!
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
- Questions/answers as I read...
During Reading Activities:
-specific comprehension questions
- Sketch important story events.
After Reading Activities:
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to the author
- Reader's response writing prompt - text to self - prompts: (close reading format)
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards
- Adjective Search
- Important Noun search
-Sketch favorite part
-Beginning, Middle, End graphic organizer
-Visualize this....reading/sketching pages
-Main idea graphic organizer
Can be used in whole, small and individual settings. Can be used as individual pages or as a packet.