Learning about tropical rainforests is fun with this packet of rainforest activities for first and second grades. Children learn about the layers of the rainforest, rainforest animals, and saving the rainforest. Four animals are featured: sloth, red-eyed tree frog, jaguar, and toucan. Students will love making a red-eyed tree frog craft (perfect for a bulletin board display) and creating detective files to solve questions with clues about the rainforest. Use these printables for a science thematic unit on the rainforest.
The resource includes:
- Rainforest Book Recommendations
- Rainforest KWL Chart - write what they know, want to learn, and have learned as students learn about the rainforest.
- Rainforest Layers Posters – layers of the rainforest posters: emergent, canopy, understory, and forest floor (color and black and white).
- Learning About the Rainforest – write and illustrate information about the rainforest.
- All About the Rainforest Booklet – complete a “The Rainforest” booklet with the following pages: About the Rainforest, Vocabulary, Layers, and What I Know.
- Rainforest Animals Description
- Rainforest Animal Picture Word Cards – rainforest animal cards in color and black and white.
- Sloth Poster – sloth information poster.
- My Pet Sloth Booklet – draw and write about a pet sloth.
- Red-Eyed Tree Frog Poster – red-eyed tree frog information poster.
- Red-Eyed Tree Frog Writing – write and illustrate information about a red-eyed tree frog.
- Tree Frog Poem – write an acrostic poem with the letters in “tree frog.”
- Red-Eyed Tree Frog Craft – paper frog craft that can be used as a bulletin board display.
- Jaguar Poster – jaguar information poster.
- Jaguar Writing – write and illustrate information about a jaguar.
- Jaguars . . . Can, Have, Are Chart – complete a chart telling what jaguars can do, have, and are.
- Toucan Poster – toucan information poster
- I Am the Toucan – create a toucan poster about what toucans eat, where they sleep, their flock, and a picture showing what a toucan looks like.
- Label It! Parts of a Toucan – label the parts of a toucan.
- Rainforest Animal Sentences – write sentences about rainforest animals using the given words.
- Rainforest Detective Files – briefcase booklet cover and “detective files” with clues. Students answer the questions about the rainforest and rainforest animals using the given clues.
- Rainforest Animals Class Booklet – write and illustrate a fun fact about a rainforest animal. Compile the pages with the cover to create a rainforest class booklet. Perfect for a classroom library!
- Saving the Rainforest Posters – “What is happening to the rainforests?” and “How can we help?” color posters.
- Save the Rainforest! Letter – write a letter telling someone the importance of saving the rainforest.
- Save the Rainforest Poster – draw and write to create a poster about the importance of saving the rainforest.
View the Preview for a detailed look at what's included in the packet.
For more rainforest activities see:
Rainforest Literacy Centers
Rainforest Math Centers
Rainforest Literacy and Math Centers Bundle
Writing About Rainforest Animals
Writing About Rainforest Animals Kindergarten
Rainforest Layers and Animals
Click HERE to follow First Grade Schoolhouse for updates, freebies, and notifications of new products.
Thank you ♥♥♥ for visiting my store!
First Grade Schoolhouse