Also included in
- Utah SEEd Third-grade Bundle This resource bundles all my 3rd-grade resources for Utah SEEd into one package with a discount of 20%. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? It also includes resources that address Utah Cor$116.12$145.15Save $29.03
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 3rd grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 3rd grade. You save 20% by purchasing this bundle. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to k$61.76$74.70Save $12.94
- NGSS Third Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 3rd grade for the entire year. Students will love these engaging third-grade science lessons. Each unit meets one or more of the NGSS third-grade standards. Are you looking for resources made by someone who understands NGSS? I ha$77.80$94.75Save $16.95
- This third-grade science bundle includes all of my resources for third-grade NGSS,as well as third-grade resources for reading informational text. Save 20% by purchasing this huge bundle. Teachers and school districts will love this third-grade Huge NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers,$145.20$180.75Save $35.55
- This science bundle for third grade covers the entire year! You save 20% by purchasing together! This NGSS Bundle for third grade is packed full of great lessons, investigations, labs, and close readings with nonfiction passages to meet the NGSS and CCSS standards for 3rd grade! Covers all NGSS stan$84.12$105.15Save $21.03
Students will learn all about the rainforest habitat in this engaging unit! Students will love learning about rainforest animals and plants and the adaptations they have to survive in the tropical rainforest habitat. The rainforest is an interesting and diverse habitat.
This resource includes:
- a slide show
- five pages of informational text reading passages
- QR Code Research
- comprehension questions
- response pages
- interactive notebook flaps
- sorting activities
- task cards
- a layered book
- answer keys
This resource is designed specifically to meet the NGSS standards for 3rd-grade Disciplinary Core Idea, Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity
by watching a slideshow, reading about the rainforest, and completing some QR code research on rainforest animals and their adaptations. This engaging close read includes 5 pages of informational text on the tropical rainforest! These reading passages with comprehension questions are designed to get the student to look back into the text to answer the text-dependent questions.
3-LS4-3. Construct an argument with evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive
less well, and some cannot survive at all.
3-LS4-4. Make a claim about the merit of a solution to a problem caused when the environment changes and the types of plants and animals that live there may change.
This resource also addresses Utah SEEd standards
Utah SEEd 3.2.5 Engage in argument from the evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive less well, and some cannot survive at all. Emphasize that organisms have adaptations that affect how well they survive in a specific environment.
Utah SEEd 3.2.6 Design a solution to a problem caused by a change in the environment that affects the types of plants and animals living there. Generate and compare multiple possible solutions to a problem and evaluate the solutions based on how well each meets the criteria and constraints of the problem. Examples of environmental changes could include changes in land use, water availability, temperature, food, and changes caused by other organisms.
This CLOSE Reading Science unit is also perfect for Earth Day or any other environmental reading for Grades 3-5.
I have mapped out a suggested timeline and believe it will take at least 8 days to complete all of this rainforest unit.
This close reading unit is also aligned with NGSS for 3rd grade. The reading passages are geared to 3rd-5th grade and the response pages are aligned with CCSS for reading informational text.
NGSS 3-LS4-3. Construct an argument with evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive
less well, and some cannot survive at all.
NGSS 3-LS4-4. Make a claim about the merit of a solution to a problem caused when the environment changes and the types of plants and animals that live there may change.
Science Concepts include:
Predator and Prey
Adaptations of plants and animals
Structural and behavioral adaptations
Abiotic and biotic factors
Changes in habitat
Supporting Claims With Evidence
This is a great CLOSE reading activity with a science theme and fun, meaningful activities. This resource is packed with great activities to fully teach the two NGSS standards. Students will learn about the rainforest stories or layers and all about the different organisms that live there.
This is a very low prep unit.
By Lynda R. Williams
Teaching Science With Lynda
If you have questions about my resources please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
See more about teaching on the rainforest habitat here.
For NGSS 3rd Grade
Next Generation Science Standards
Students love my reading comprehension passages and questions! Please look at my other science close reading units and activities: