Tired of using Go Fish, Old Made, and Memory Match to teach prepositions? Looking for more flexibility and practical application when teaching and practicing prepositions? This activity allows you to teach and practice preposition vocabulary in a fun, engaging, hands on way. A colorful scene is the setting for the lesson. Anywhere an object is placed defines a preposition (Over the frogs, Next to the tree, Near the Orangutan…).
1. Use the pictured objects labeled with a preposition to demonstrate the meanings. Have your students place the pictures on the scene according to the label.
2. Have your students express where the pictured object was placed using a complete sentence.
3. For more flexibility, pictures without labels are also provided, so you or your students can choose where to place a picture before expressing that placement in a word, phrase, or complete sentence.
4. Tell your students where to place the pictured object, to check receptive language and following directions.
5. This activity also provides practice with singular and plural objects.
6. Make multiple copies of scenes and pictures to play as a barrier game.
7. Have students tell or write a story while placing pictures on the scene.
8. Great for articulation practice in connected speech too.
9. Send a copy of the scene and labeled pictures home for homework practice.
10. When all the pictured objects are placed, work on some compare/contrast vocabulary (Which object is nearest to the tree, highest, lowest, farthest…?).
There are so many ways to use this activity to increase vocabulary, expressive and receptive language skills, but only 180 days in the school year. Have fun!
This 9 page packet includes:
• Unlabeled pictures to place on the scene
• Labeled pictures to place on the scene
• 2 large scenes; one for practice at home that can be printed in
• Labeled black line pictures for home practice
If you like this product, check out Marsh Preposition Play!
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click on it to become a follower.
You will receive customized email updates about this store.