All you need to teach a whole term's worth of inspiring and enjoyable lessons about the world's rainforests.
This pack is ideal for KS2 teachers teaching 'Rainforests' as part of their Geography curriculum. It is perfect for those schools adopting a creative curriculum or 'topic based' approach as there are many cross-curricular ideas!
This pack contains:
A very detailed 10 Week Medium Term Plan. Each week covers 2-3 lessons and provides all details and information for each lesson - potentially - 25-27 lessons which can be copied and pasted into your own school's MTP Proforma.
Lessons covered on the topics of:
* Introduction to rainforests around the world
* Climate differences between tropical zones and the UK
* The Different Layers of the rainforest
* The Animals and Plants of the rainforest
* Exotic and British fruits
* Indigenous Tribal People of the rainforest
* Deforestation Issues
* Rainforest Explorers and Survival Skills
* Linked Art / D&T / creative writing activities
30 Workshseets and Factsheets These accompany the lesson plans and can be adapted for different abilities
10 Unique PowerPoint presentations (not available elsewhere on the net)
These accompany the lesson plans and can be read through to teach and instigate discussion. PPs are designed to be easy to understand for KS2 and include lots of images and well researched facts.
* An Introduction to the Rainforest (An overview of rainforests, a good way to introduce the topic to your class and start them thinking).
* The Amazon Rainforest (A look at the world's largest rainforest including its location, animal and plant life in addition to its deforestation problem).
* Who lives in the Rainforest? (Indigenous tribes of the forest, how and where they live including uncontacted tribes).
* Animal Adaptation (How rainforest animals have adapted to survive in rainforest conditions and beat fierce competition from other species).
* The Tropical Climate (Includes map work and world climate zones, comparisons between tropical climate and British weather and detailed explanation of the water cycle in a rainforest).
* Deforestation (Introduction to what deforestation is, main causes, problems it creates and what can be done about it).
* The Layers of the Rainforest (A look at the different layers and the features of each including their plant and animal life).
* Rainforest Explorers (Details of explorers of the last 500 years with a short biography of notable ones ending with info about modern day explorers and their aims).
* Hernando Cortez (The story of this conquistador who battled the Aztecs and bought chocolate to Europe).
* British and Tropical Fruits (Which fruits can grow in the British Climate and those that need tropical conditions to grow. Do children know where their fruit comes from?).
2 Rainforest Crosswords
2 Sets of Top Trumps these alone took hours to make! There is one set about reptiles and frogs and one about rainforest primates. Just print out and laminate. A great reward for children who finish early and they will learn about animals while having fun!
5 Word searches
3 Other Puzzles