Students will be introduced to Emerson's essay and will produce one written paragraph that analyzes style in a short excerpt of Emerson's essay. This assignment works well with AP Language students but also is a great way to ease college prep students into higher-level critical thinking and writing.
In addition to a step-by-step guide for using these materials, this unit contains:
1. a PowerPoint that offers information and ideas to help students learn the concepts of tone, diction, and author's purpose.
2. Lead-ins, sentences templates that help students write about literature in a meaningful way.
3. A writing prompt, helpful tips, and a sample paragraph on tone.
4. The first paragraph of Emerson's essay and a longer excerpt (for the writing assignment).
5. A list of 10 common core standards this unit addresses.