Use these Ramadan activities to help your students learn about one of the most important holidays in Islam. A reading passage with comprehension questions introduces the holiday to students, task cards offer writing and speaking opportunities, a crossword and word search puzzles help teach vocabulary about Ramadan, and you can use the posters to create a multilingual bulletin board display. Printable and digital versions are included. In 2022, Ramadan begins on April 2nd and ends on May 2nd.
The digital materials are in 2 different folders: 1 for the reading passage and word search materials, and 1 for the task card materials. Two different links are provided in the PDF file to access them.
What educators who have used this resource say about it:
♥ "Its a great resource for Eid! Thank you for Sharing!" -- Mahzabeen C.
♥ "My students were using this resource to see how much they knew about their religion. Good resource!" -- Catherine T.
♥ "We used this for our Holidays Around the World project. Great detail and design. Thank you." -- Theresa P.
★ Cover (1 page)
★ A list of what’s included in the PDF file and the Google Drive materials for quick reference (1 page)
★ Notes to the teacher with background information (2 pages)
★ Directions for accessing the Google Drive materials (1 page)
★ 9 posters with Ramadan greetings (9 pages)
★ Directions to students for how to do the activities (1 page)
★ 1 reading passage about Ramadan, with comprehension questions and answer key (1 page each for a total of 3 pages)
★ Task cards with questions related to Ramadan; 8 questions total with 4 questions per page, in color (2 pages)
★ Task cards with questions related to Ramadan; 8 questions total with 4 questions per page, in black-and-white (2 pages)
★ 1 crossword puzzle and answers; the puzzle is on 1 page, clues on another page, and answers in 2 formats on 2 other pages (4 pages)
★ Instructions on how to do the digital word search puzzles (3 pages)
★ 4 word search puzzles with answer keys (8 pages)
★ Copyright, social media & credits information (1 page)
★ Cover (1 slide)
★ Directions to students for how to do the activities (1 slide)
★ 1 reading passage about Ramadan, with comprehension questions and answer key (1 slide each for a total of 3 slides)
★ Task cards with questions related to Ramadan; 8 questions total with 1 question per slide, in color (8 slides)
★ Instructions on how to do the digital word search puzzles (3 slides)
★ 4 word search puzzles with answer keys (8 slides)
Included in this product are 5 types of resources:
* A reading passage about Ramadan provides information about this Muslim holiday. Five comprehension questions accompany the passage and an answer key is included for convenience. Reading the passage about Ramadan will help students do the other activities in this product but if they are already know how and why Ramadan is observed, that may not be necessary.
* Task cards with 8 questions related to Ramadan that give students writing and/or speaking practice.
* A crossword puzzle and 4 word searches, differentiated by level of difficulty, with answer keys for all the puzzles.
* Six posters saying "Happy Ramadan" in Arabic, English, Farsi, Hindi, Indonesian, and Turkish. These languages were selected because they are countries with significant Muslim populations and represent the diversity of the Muslim world. Another poster wishing "Ramadan Mubarak" -- that is to say, "Happy Ramadan" -- showing the Turkish tile from the product cover, is included, too. These posters make a nice bulletin board display.
Three of the activities are available in a Google Drive version:
* The reading passage along with the comprehension questions and answer key are available in a digital format. There are text boxes for typing responses to the questions.
* The color task cards are available in digital format and a slide that students can use for their responses is also provided. Students can copy this slide to respond to multiple prompts.
* The word searches are also included in the Google Drive version with their answer keys. Complete instructions for how to access the Google Drive materials are provided as are instructions to students for how to do these digital activities.
You can use this Ramadan resource remotely in 3 ways:
a) Tell students to do the Google Drive versions of the reading passage, task cards, and word search puzzles.
b) When teaching synchronously or asynchronously online, display and/or read aloud the reading passage. Then display the comprehension questions and have students write/type the answers, or discuss them if you're using a platform than lets you do that. Share answers with your class. Display the task cards one at a time and give students time to write a paragraph (10-15 minutes depending on your class); alternatively, you can send the task cards to students and they can select which ones to write about or discuss together if using a platform that allows you to do that. (Other parts of this resource probably can't be used when teaching this way but if your students have printers, you can send them the puzzles to print out at home and they can do them on their own.)
c) For students to do on their own: Send photocopies of the reading passage, comprehension questions, and task cards home. Also send home the crossword puzzle and word searches (you may wish to send just 1 word search home). Tell students to read the passage and answer the questions. Tell students to write responses to the questions on the task cards. Tell students to do the crossword puzzle and 1 of the word searches. Ask students to send their work back to you.
Let your students learn about this important Muslim holiday with these informative and engaging Ramadan activities!
You might also like these products:
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
© 2015 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Google Drive is a trademark of Google Inc. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with Google, Inc.