Rational Number Word Problem Football Challenge:
If you are looking for some challenging and fun word problems involving rational numbers (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, opposites, and absolute values), this is the product for you! It’s a cold day in December when the Integer City Indulgers come to town to face the Rational Town Rampagers in a critical football game. The coin is tossed, the ball is kicked, and the game is on! Students write and evaluate numerical expressions involving rational numbers to determine rushing yardage, passing yardage, yardage required for a first down, punting yardage, changes in game-time temperatures, etc. They enjoy the creative names of the players as they explore this engaging use of rational numbers in a real-world setting.
Note: This product is a stand-alone product that will later be included in a soon-to-be-released product, Rational Number Rampage. This product will be the successor to Integer Indulgence, Featuring Mr. Number Line and Integer Poetry (an 80 page product which provides a complete unit on integers), and will include a complete unit on comparing, ordering, adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing positive and negative fractions and decimals.
As these rational number problems are meant to be challenging, students who tackle this worksheet should have experience with each of the following:
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of fractions (positive and negative).
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of decimals (positive and negative).
- Converting fluidly between simple fractions and decimals.
- Absolute values and opposites.
- Finding and using the average (mean) of a group of numbers.
A warm-up / review page that addresses the concepts above is provided for any classes that might require it.
Good luck with your use of the Rational Number Word Problem Football Challenge!
Feel free to check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Expression and Equation Products
Click here to view Data, Statistics, and Probability Products
Click here to view Decimal Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Factor / Multiple Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer, Rational Number, and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion-Percent Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.