- Immerse your students in the study of time! Timepieces, ancient clocks, gears, astronomy, calendars and even racing bicycles and spirographic art. This fully-integrated bundle is a 4-week plan of study that integrates math, science, language arts, history, art, foreign language and even wellbeing ex$97.20$108.00Save $10.80
Middle school students learn the concepts of Algebra and Geometry to understand bicycle gears, ratios and unit rates.
What could be more fun than inspecting a real bicycle and figuring out the mathematics involved? In this project, your students apply Mathematics, Engineering and Physics skills to calculate, analyze and solve problems on gears.
This project is designed to develop middle schoolers’ knowledge and skills with fractions, ratios, and circles while understanding the parts and functions of bicycles. Through well-planned lessons matched with examples and worksheets, interactive practice materials such as playing cards, and self-integrated projects students will surely enjoy working with numbers, formulas, and theories in an interesting and experiential way.
This fully planned out project includes:
· Independent Student Project Guide
· Vocabulary Matching Activity for Engineering Bicycle Parts and Functions
· 3 Lesson Guides with examples and worksheets to develop mastery including:
o Evaluating Expressions
o Fractions, Ratios, and Unit Rates
o Shapes and Solids
· Lesson Guides include worksheets, teacher lessons, and quiz
· 3 Project Steps with materials and instructions including:
o Experiment exploring different bicycle gear settings
o Steps for how to calculate pi including ratio formulas
o Comparison of Circumference calculations on real bicycle gears and tires
· 2 Articles on Gears and the History of Pi
· A 43-page Interactive Practice Cards and Educational Game Materials for follow-up practice and anchor activities for students who finish early
· Teacher Guide that includes guidelines, tips, and tricks for effective classroom management and lesson presentation.
Grade Level: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and homeschool
Duration: 3 Weeks (15 hours)
About “The Project Shop” by the Mobile Montessorian
Project Shop projects are designed with middle school students in mind. They offer integrated, exciting topics for students to learn. The Student Guides provide independence so that students can be in charge of their own learning while you are freed to manage your classroom, observe your student’s progress and interaction, provide intervention and even offer more challenges.
The Teacher Guides help you know how long a project should last, what might be necessary to prepare and gives you lesson suggestion on each topic. Everything is designed with four tenets in mind:
· Independence—greater self-efficacy through independently-driven tasks
· Meaningful Work—greater engagement through adult-like work
· Hands-on Experiences—greater understanding through integration of the hand and mind
· Wellbeing—reflection and care opportunities for the self, others, and the environment
Want to see more products? Ask questions? Be notified when new stuff comes out? Make sure to subscribe at the top and like this page!