OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
In order to help students engage in critical and creative thinking, they will read Ray Bradbury’s and write an original science fiction story as well as will engage with various activities to explore different thematic ideas of the stories. This five page packet includes the following:
1. Characteristics of the science fiction genre and requirements for the creative writing assignment
2. A rubric
3. A story map for brainstorming and outlining ideas
4. Activities to go with individual stories on topics related to telepathy, social issues, supernatural, historical parallels, intertextuality, and characterization of the Martians.
5. 15 freewrite journal prompts for students to explore in their writing portfolio
6. An exemplar written by Mrs. MacFarland with a rationale