If you're looking for more material on informational text comprehension with read aloud you might like my products on these topics, also:
This comprehensive product includes oodles of information and activities appropriate for 1st- 4th grade literacy learners. First graders probably need guided and modeled instruction for most of the work, whereas 4th graders could do many of the activities independently. As the title indicates, the (awesome nonfiction! ) book Grizzly Bears by Gail Gibbons is to be read aloud. Even if the reading level is too difficult for your students, the content is definitely appropriate for discussion and oral vocabulary building, and students will benefit from the exposure to and guided practice with the comprehension strategies necessary for the “close reading” the Common Core State Standards require..
Materials in this packet include instructional ideas and practice with the following literacy components:
Tier 2 Vocabulary (general word meanings helpful for text comprehension in many areas)
• Students look at sentences taken from the text & determine whether or not a definition can be inferred using context clues.
• Students complete sentences using the words.
• Students complete a crossword puzzle using the words.
Tier 3 Vocabulary (words that relate specifically to grizzly bears or the study of animals)
• Students complete 2 cloze passages.
• Students determine if statements read aloud by the teacher are true or false based on Tier 2 & 3 vocabulary definitions.
• Students complete a graphic organizer listing facts learned in several different areas.
• Students answer questions using details from the text.
Locating Text Evidence & Math Problem Solving
• Students locate mathematical facts within the text (How fast can a grizzly bear run?”) and record the page number on which they were found.
• Students solve story problems using the gathered facts.
- Students add the suffix “tion” to root words, determine word meanings, and complete sentences and word charts using word with a “tion suffix.
• Students read and illustrate a 6 page mini-book about grizzly bears-3 little books at three different reading levels are included for differentiation!
Thank you so much for your interest in these materials! Please take a look at the preview, which includes many samples of activities included in this product. If the content and/or instructional support offered in this product fit the learning needs of your class, please take a look at the many other K-5 products offered in my store:
Contact me: MBrat10524@aol.com
Read Aloud Comprehension Lessons & Activities with Grizzly Bears by Gail Gibbons
by Amy Bratsos
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License