This resource contains 5 winter activities to practice following directions with simple prepositions and spatial concepts! Each board contains six manipulative and visual strips to help students that are just beginning to learn how to read and follow directions! The following spatial concepts are targeted: on top, over, under, in front of, next to, between, top & bottom, above & below!
This activity aligns to the following ABLLS-R Tasks:
Receptive Task C51: Receptive Prepositions
Labeling Task G35: Labels Prepositions
Reading Task Q16: Reads and Follows Simple Instructions on Worksheets
Objective 1: The student will be able to follow directions that utilize prepositions.
Objective 2: The student will be able to answer "where" questions to label the location of an item using a preposition.
Objective 3: The student will be able to read and follow simple instructions on worksheets.
1. Print and laminate each setting task board. There are five total (Winter Nature Scene 1, Winter Nature Scene 2, Bake Sale, & Winter Tree).
2. Print, Cut and Laminate the Manipulative Items on Page 2.
3. Attach a piece of hard Velcro on the back of each item from page 2. Attach a piece of soft Velco on each blank space on the bottom of each setting task board. (Note – this step is optional; you do not need to use Velcro, but it makes the pieces easier to keep track of. I did not use velcro for the top & bottom task, and for the above & below task.)
4. Print, laminate, and cut each "following direction strip". There are a total of 12 directions for each the Winter Nature Scenes, 6 directions for the Bake Sale, 7 directions for Top & Bottom and 14 directions for above/below/over/under. Have your student follow the direction to put the manipulative in the correct place!
5. After your student has followed the 6 or 7 directions correctly and all 6 or 7 items are on the board, practice answering “Where” Questions! You can use the "following direction sentence strip" as a written model for your student if they need help! For example:
Where did you put the bear?
"In front of the grass."
Where did you put the penguin?
"Under the snowflake."
This resource is part of a complete winter themed preschool/early intervention speech therapy activity packet, which also targets WH questions, verbs, pronouns, and size concepts. To view the entire packet, please click the following link: