Just in time for Common Core implementation! This PowerPoint will introduce your students to close reading of literary text.
The PowerPoint contains:
* a rationale for why students need to master close reading
* a simple, 6 step protocol for completing a close read, based on research
* a teacher model to show your students how to do a close read
* independent practice
* discussion questions
* a reflection on how the protocol worked
* a student hand-out with the protocol
* cloze notes on the PowerPoint
In order to have students complete the Independent Practice, you will need copies of former poet laureate Ted Kooser's poem "Abandoned Farmhouse." I have provided a link in the PowerPoint that will take you to the poem.
Have fun implementing literacy across the curriculum! - Katrina