Help your students learn how to self-regulate their reading behaviors, manage and utilize the classroom library, and use a Reader's Notebook, allowing you to then direct your uninterrupted attention towards Guided Reading instruction.
The following document includes a 6 week language arts unit with 25 lesson plans for independent reading and Reader's Notebook. The unit plan is intended to incorporate both a poetry and writing component. (Note: You can also get the poetry workshop and writer's workshop unit lesson plans separately or all three together for a reduced price.)
The independent reading unit lesson plans are designed to help students understand the following:
- What independent reading is
- How to set up and navigate a classroom library
- Categories of reading materials
- When and why people stop reading books
- How to discuss books with other students
- Using a Reader's Notebook to record books read and write letters about students' thinking while reading independently
- Writing and evaluating book reports.
Two rubrics are included for self- and peer-evaluation about "buzzing," as is a rubric both the students and teacher use to reflect on the quality of the entries in the Reader's Notebook.