PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Onset & Rime Phonics Poems & Activities: TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE RAG: A 12-poem collection of super-fast and funny phonics poetry and accompanying onset and rime activities that can be incorporated into whole-class instruction, small-group work, and literacy centers.
* * * * * * * * * *
The 12 readers' theater phonics poems focus on 13 different word families (rimes):
* Rime -ack: The Sack
* Rime -ag: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Rag
* Rime -ap: A Tiny Nap
* Rime -at: Rats
* Rime -ay: A Little Gray Jay
* Rime -ick: Nick Took a Lick
* Rime -ight: Star Light, Star Bright
* Rime -in: From Monday to Sunday
* Rime -ing: Billy's String
* Rimes -ip & -ig: Hickory, Dickory, Dip
* Rime -it: My Brother Had a Fit (also available as a FREE DOWNLOAD)
* Rime -ug: A Bug or a Slug
Each poem is provided in two formats: as a standard 1-page poem and as a short, 1- to 2-page readers' theater script for two readers. (For larger groups, multiple students can be assigned to choral read each part of the script.) Ideas are provided for how the poems can be incorporated into classroom literacy instruction to support the development of both phonemic awareness and phonics skills.
Along with each phonics poem, additional onset and rime worksheets provide further practice and support for students. These activities include:
* Word Family ~ Poem Work: Students identify all of the words in each poem that come from the corresponding word family (rime). They also show their comprehension by drawing a picture of something that is going on in the poem. An answer key is provided.
* Word Family ~ Make a Word: Students add onsets to write four words that belong with a word family rime. Then they add a drawing to match each word.
* Word Family ~ Word Sort: Students read word cards and sort each word based on whether it does or does not include a specific rime. Words from the poems are included.
* Additional extension ideas are provided to further expand the students' work with onset and rime.
Other materials include a basic overview of readers' theater, numerous tips and tricks for successful implementation, and a listing of some of the applicable Common Core Standards for grades K-2.
TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE RAG is ready to provide a fast, funny, and favorite source of readers' theater, phonics-focused, fluency practice for your students!