Also included in
- Teach your students to summarize a fictional piece of literature by using the "Somebody Wanted But So Then" strategy. This bundle of activities includes many practice opportunities! Students will read and summarize FOURTEEN fictional pieces.Begin by using the 54-slide PowerPoint to introduce the con$8.99$16.47Save $7.48
Students will improve their reading fluency each time they read their script. Students will summarize the story in a way that maintains meaning and order.
Do you want to add a little "flavor" to your summarizing unit? This is an engaging activity where your students work cooperatively to read an original readers' theater script and then summarize it using the "Somebody Wanted But So Then" summarizing strategy.
- Split your students into two groups and assign parts. (The script contains 15 parts, so if you have fewer than 30 students, you may have to assign some students multiple parts.)
- Students read the script together in their group.
- Show students the "Somebody Wanted But So Then" poster, and answer the anchor questions on the poster.
- Distribute the foldable. Have students follow the directions to assemble the foldable and write the summary.
********This resource is available in TWO FORMATS:
1. TRADITIONAL PRINTABLES- Print the PDF and distribute paper copies to your students to complete.
2. TPT DIGITAL ACTIVITY- With this format, an interactive layer has been added to the original PDF!** This paperless version uses text boxes so that your students can complete it on a device. You can assign it to your students via Google Drive, and they can return it to you to review. Click on the Getting Started Guide to learn more about this version of the activity!
Open the PREVIEW to see the first few pages of the script and most of the summarizing portion of the activity.
Feel free to check out my related resources:
Copyright by Deb Hanson
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher is prohibited. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on an Internet site that is not password protected are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!