This is a social/geography based home reading mapping program. It is student led program that is incredibly easy to implement in you classroom. I created it to tie into the Grade 4 Social Studies Program in Alberta Canada but you could be adapted to any grade. Student earn kilometers for minutes read and record their reading on logs based on specific trips. For this program 30 minutes = 30 kms. Once the amount of km (minutes) is earned for the trip, students return log to teacher and they can move their pin on a classroom map to destination earned. This resource does not include any leveled reading books just the program letter and trip logs.
The product includes:
- Parent letter explaining the program
- Teacher notes/tips for implementation
- All pre-made student reading logs including read to self, read to someone and listen to reading
- Suggestion to include reading tips in parent letter
- Bonus trip logs for students who read to Calgary and they get to map their own reading journey. This can be anywhere in the world!
I hope you enjoy this program as much as my students and I do!
I post a large map of Alberta on a bulletin board and have students create mini selves on push pins to travel around the map. You can put a mini flag on each destination that way the students can track their trips together.
Thanks for downloading!