Readers enjoy rating the books that they read whether this analysis occurs in their heads, online, with a friend or in book group discussions.
This English Language Arts activity- Fiction's Physique- enables Middle and HIgh School students to develop their comprehension and reasoning skills as they show- in writing and orally- a story's buff or flabby qualities.
Teachers should offer this lesson after students have finished reading the story. When they have completed this activity, students will reveal the buffness of their thinking skills from knowledge through evaluation.
This activity allows them to show their understanding of all aspects of the Elements of Strong Fiction as well as their comprehension of the various aspects of the story.
Here is the How the lesson should be taught from the Teacher Notes:
• Introduce the activity by reviewing each Element of Strong Fiction (Vivid Details, Depth of Character, Descriptive Settings, Captivating Plots, Realistic Dialogue, Unpredictability, Originality, Emotions, Believable Endings and Purpose).
1. Before class, write each of the ten elements on the board, leaving space for student responses.
2. Give each student a card with one of the ten elements written on it.
3. Allot them five minutes to find an example of their element and to write it on the board under the corresponding topic.
4. Discuss the answers
• Review this activity’s directions by reading them orally and then checking for understanding.
• Allot students time in class to work on this activity. Suggestion- 30 to 45 minutes, depending on their skills and abilities.
• Students may either finish this activity in class the next day or as a homework assignment. Teachers choose their desired option, depending on their students’ skills and abilities and their objective(s) for the activity.
• The day that the activity is due, the teacher writes the elements of strong fiction on the board again, randomly assigns each student two topics, and then asks them to write one of their examples under each of their assigned elements.
• Alternate Lesson Idea: divide students into pairs or trios. Give them class time to complete this activity, instructing them to divide up the elements as they choose. Follow the previous bullet regarding sharing.
• Each student must complete the Fitness Analysis segment.
This activity engages students as a closure lesson at the end of a fictional study or as an end of the year exercise where they select one of the stories that they studied that year to analyze.
To enable students to gain a deeper understanding of the elements of strong fiction, download this coordinating product, Writing Groups: Strong Fiction
More Elements of Literature Analysis Activities
Comprehension & Writing Activity: Presenting the Academic Awards for Literature
Comprehension Activity: Leafing Through the Story
Comprehension and Writing Activity: You are Invited!
Comprehension, Critical Thinking, and Writing Activity - Tripping Through Time
Comprehension, Thinking & Writing Activities: Making the Most of May
Comprehension, Thinking & Writing Activity: Comparing Books and Movies Worksheet
Comprehension: Literature Task Cards
Writing and Comprehension - Writing About Reading
Enjoy a Teach It Now Day,
For an automatic Heads-Up! email about Updated and New products, and also for Sales and other promotions, please click on the Follow Me star under my Store name, Connie.