Reading Blasts! – Nonfiction / Procedural – Grade 3 is a set of twenty-four short reading passages coupled with four or more multiple choice questions that assess student knowledge and performance on grade three reading objectives that focus on nonfiction and procedural text. Each individual warm-up is designed to be used as a short daily reading practice. Students read a passage and answer questions based on the passage. Nonfiction and procedural passages are included in this reading blast set. The nonfiction and procedural passages and questions are the same as the nonfiction and procedural passages and questions as found in Reading Warm-ups – Grade 3. An answer key is provided, too.
Reading objectives assessed in the questions following the passages include:
- Word Meaning
- Asking Questions
- Main Idea/Details
- Text Structure
- Visual Features
- Text Features
- Drawing Conclusions
This chart shows the type of passage included in this set of blasts:
- 3.1 – Expository - 3.13 – Expository
- 3.2 – Expository - 3.14 – Procedural
- 3.3 – Expository - 3.15 – Expository
- 3.4 – Expository - 3.16 – Procedural
- 3.5 – Informational - Flyer - 3.17 – Procedural
- 3.6 – Informational - Flyer - 3.18 – Expository
- 3.7 – Expository - 3.19 – Expository
- 3.8 – Informational - Flyer - 3.20 – Expository
- 3.9 – Newspaper Article - 3.21 – Expository
- 3.10 – Expository - 3.22 - Procedural
- 3.11 – Newspaper Article - 3.23 – Informational - Flyer
- 3.12 – Informational - Flyer - 3.24 - Expository
These blasts can be used in a variety of ways. You may have your students read the passage and answer the questions in class. The answers can be checked in class and discussed immediately. The blasts can be assigned as homework and checked in class the next day. Several blasts can be put together as a mini-test.
You may also like Reading Blasts! – Fiction #1 and Reading Blasts! – Fiction #2 for Grade 3. These products include fiction passages with multiple choice questions that assess a variety of grade three fiction reading objectives.