In the Amazing Authors A to Z Reading Challenge, students read books by 26 different authors* with last names beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Not only does this expose students to a variety of authors and illustrators, it also encourages reading across different genres. (*For the letter X, they read an “extra” author of their choice.)
Students keep track of the authors they've read by filling in one of the two recording sheets. There are also two separate alphabetical lists of authors appropriate for K-2 and 3-5 grades if students need suggestions of authors whose names begin with certain letters. Upon completion of the challenge, students might further study one author and fill out the author report about them.
Ways to Use This Challenge:
• Summer reading
• Independent reading in class or at home (for a specific time frame or all year long)
• Read alouds by the teacher
• Read alouds by parents at home (for lower elementary)
• Directions for teachers
• Amazing Authors A to Z recording sheet for K-2
• Amazing Authors A to Z recording sheet for 3-5
• Alphabetical list of authors of books for K-2
• Alphabetical list of authors of books for 3-5
• Author report for K-2
• Author report for 3-5
However you use this in your classroom, I hope it’s a fun and exciting way to encourage your readers!
Questions? Feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Thanks so much for stopping by!