• 11 Reading Passages which contain 3-4 paragraphs each.
• 7 of the 11 are Fiction Passages - “Football Friends,” “TV Time?” “Magical Spices,” “Slumber Party,” “Lazy Horse,” “The Magic Flute,” and “The Scariest Hike”
• 4 of the 11 are Non-Fiction Passages - “The Eel Trip,” “Titanic Facts,” “My Pet Jellyfish,” and “A Tale of T-Rex”
• 11 Question & Answer Sheets for each passage contain 4-5 questions, with fill in the blank responses.
Reading Passages Contain the following Features:
• Spelling patterns are weaved into many of these Reading passages: (ea/ee), (-ake/-ike) (oa/silent ‘e’)
• Reading focus skills, targeted in reading passages are:
Fact & Opinion, Main Idea, Generalizations, Inferencing, Author’s Purpose, Cause & Effect, Characters, Conflict and Setting
• Language Arts focus skills - Possessive Nouns, Contractions
• Vocabulary words are in bold, featuring grade level appropriate words.
• Small Group – Students can read passage independently and then take turns to read a paragraph aloud. The teacher emphasizes/re-teaches/introduces the focus skill. Answer Q&A as a group, assigning each child a question to find the correct answer for.
• Independent Reading – Students read and answer the Q&A sheet on their own. The Q&A sheet can be used to pre-assess or assess focus skills.
• Homework – Open ended questions require that students read and think through each Q&A.
Copyright & Clipart
By downloading this product “Reading Comprehension – 7 Fiction & 4 Non-Fiction Passages,” you agree to use this for your classroom without altering any content or images. Feel free to copy multiple copies for student use! If you would like to share this product with other teachers, kindly download an additional license at ½ price.
Each reading passage and Q&A sheet was written by Andrea Chouhan © ELEMENTARY ELEPHANT.COM. Each passage has also been created for students and used by students. My students really enjoyed them!
Clipart & Backgrounds created by the following artists:
Graphics from the pond, creative clips, KB Connected Clips,
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/WorksheetjunkieHugs-from-Herman Clipart Store and Microsoft Word.
Check out my other products at: