Finally, effective reading strategy instruction ready to go in the Spanish language. Now you can easily implement powerful reading mini-lessons without going through the work of translating!
In this unit, we introduce and practice with our young readers the concept of Schema (Esquema) and Making Connections (Hacer conexiones). Typically, this is the first comprehension strategy we explore (after spending the first month of school teaching and practicing how to evaluate "just right" text).
This document includes:
1. Unit plan for teaching Esquema / Hacer conexiones
2. List of suggested picture books to use in mini-lessons
3. Letter to families explaining the strategy, how to reinforce it at home (this is in English; all our families are English speaking)
4. Handout: las conexiones significativas
5. Handout: conexiones texto-a-texto
6. Handout: practicar los tres tipos de conexiones
7. Handout: compartir las conexiones
8. Handout: mi librito de conexiones
These lessons were created for our second graders, native English speakers in a full-immersion program. For a different population, you may find the lessons appropriate to a different age group.
THE UNIT PLAN USES SPANISH AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE INTERCHANGEABLY and THE HANDOUTS ARE ALL IN SPANISH.
Due to varied page layouts, we could not provide this document as a PDF. We hope this .doc format helps you tweak the handouts/printables to meet your needs. We also hope you understand that any changes made should be only for use in your own classroom. Thank you!