Reading Comprehension sheets for Year 1 or weak Year 2/Year3. (NSW print)
Sheets include a short text with decodable and high frequency words. Texts are a range of fiction and informational texts.
Comprehension section is multiple choice, with simple, literal answers or true/false. There is space for a picture (multi-modal comprehension) and a short answer (generally a simple inference from the text).
Children need to read the short text carefully to answer the questions. Some questions are also set up in a way that students will need to pick 'the best answer' and eliminate any answers that are clearly incorrect.
This activity would suit:
- Children needing support in comprehension (Yr2);
- Children with very weak reading ability that need to be taught comprehension strategies (Yr2);
- Children practicing for NAPLAN style questions with very low reading ability (Yr2, early Yr3);
- Independent reading activity (Yr1);
- Homework (Yr 1, Yr2);
- Reading activity run by an assistant or parent (Yr1, Yr 2).
If you would like to try this series of worksheets, you can download a one-page freebie from my store.