Reading Comprehension: Mini Book & Writing:
You may want to give your students a short story to practice reading, and ordering events. This is just the right length to make a lesson, with a book-making activity to help reinforce skills.
This works very well in a literacy center...for independent or small group work.
Many lessons can be derived from this set:
1. This set can help student order events, identify main idea and supporting details.
2. Kids can practice retelling, and summarizing, and discuss the setting, characters, and problem.
3. Kids can make a mini book out of the events.
4. This can reinforce learning of the spelling rule for long vowel silent e pattern. Long vowel silent-e words (Vce rule) such as time, outside, shade
5. Learn how paragraphs must have a main idea, topic sentence, supporting details, and a concluding sentence (wrap it up)
6. Identifying and using transition words such as First, Then, Next, But, Soon, So
7. Use this for fluency practice (80 word count)
“Playing Outside”, text passage, Reading Level Grade 1
Vocabulary preview page (words included in the students' text)
Cloze writing activity page (for center or individual activity)
Response sheet for recording answers
Missing Words Answer key (Cloze answers)
Out of Order! Trace, cut and sequence the sentences.
Mini book: ¼ size pages form a mini book in an accordion format.
There are a few ways you can make this mini book:
Create an accordion book.
You can cut, stack and staple in order.
You can put the cards (pages) on a ring.
(This activity reinforces skills for sequencing the story. The ¼ size pages can also be used simply as cards to order events.)
Concertina directions and sample photos
**Addresses Common Core for Reading Foundation Skills and Comprehension
Thank you for rating this--I appreciate your feedback!
If you are interested in more short stories for this grade level, you might like this:
You will find 3 short stories and follow up activities similar to this product....not a bad deal for one dollar more!
Thanks very much for stopping by!