This mini-unit includes everything you need to teach, practice, assess, and build confidence with the reading comprehension skill: METACOGNITION.
Use this resource to help your students MASTER the art of thinking about your thinking as you read.
INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE:
1. 5 mini lesson statements and detailed teaching instructions for teaching metacognition.
2. 5 sample mini lesson anchor charts (your anchor charts will look different based on the mentor texts you choose to use and the responses from your students, but you can use the same outline as provided).
3. ‘I Can’ statement cards for each lesson. These are great to post in the room, at a literacy station, glued into readers’ notebooks, or posted at a small group table.
4. Blank anchor chart pages for students. These can be glued into reader’s notebooks in a mini lesson section. Students can complete them during the lesson and have a record of learning kept safely in their notebooks to reference anytime!
5. 5 graphic organizers for independent activities that match each of the 5 mini lessons. These can be used with any text students are reading and can be used over and over again. They are great for assessment!
6. Short comprehension quizzes on metacognition to administer after the 5 lessons are completed. Answer keys are provided!
7. A certificate of mastery you can give students to build their confidence and tell them you think they are ready for the test!
8. 14 different styles of brag tags for rewarding students for all their hard work and learning.