This is a reading comprehension / vocabulary building set of worksheets. The activity comes with a passage, vocabulary activities, and a comprehension activity.
Classwork / Homework
Monday: Assign reading passage and blank vocabulary definitions page.
Tuesday: Assign reading comprehension questions.
Wednesday: Assign vocabulary matching.
Thursday: Assign vocabulary fill in or instruct students to study vocabulary definitions.
Friday: Use vocabulary fill in as quiz, or create own quiz to test knowledge.
Speech Therapy / Small Group Instruction:
1. Read passage aloud.
2. Discuss bolded vocabulary terms as they arise (instruct students to use context clues).
3. Have the students create a definition to write on the blank vocabulary page.
- This page is very useful to reference for the future activities.
4. Have students answer comprehension questions.
- Some of these questions require abstract thinking skills. Students in speech therapy often need help to learn how to develop these skills. Working through the questions as a group may be better for students who have not yet developed strong abstract thinking skills.
5. Vocabulary matching.
6. Vocabulary fill in.
* Not all of the activities may be completed in one session. Continuing the activities across multiple sessions requires students to think back, use their memories, and look back at previous work to continue the activity.