Help your students become a Math-magician (mathematician)! Students learn to read decimals using a decimal place value chart. This instructional PowerPoint emphasizes the correct way to read decimals using place value and the word 'and'. Read numbers to the tenths, hundredths, and thousandths.
• Slides 2-11: Introduces place value and how the place value chart increase by x10 going to the left and decrease by x10 going to the right.
• Slides 12-21: Students practice reading decimals to tenths
• Slides 22-35: Introduce and practice reading decimals to hundredths
• Slides 36-46: Introduce and practice reading decimals to the thousandths.
• Slides 47-55: Mixed Practice
• Slide 56: Printable Place Value Chart Posters
I showed this Powerpoint on my Smart Board.
Common Core Standards Addressed:
Fifth Grade Common Core Standard:
Mathematics Number & Operations in Base Ten 5.NBT.1
Recognize that in a multi-digit number, a digit in one place represents 10 times as
much as it represents in the place to its right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left.
Check out these other Decimal Place Value Resources:
Decimal Place Value Standard, Word, Expanded Instructional PowerPoint
Decimal Place Value Standard Word, Expanded for the Google Classroom
Fifth Grade Common Core Standard Mathematics Number & Operations in Base Ten 5.NBT 2Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10, and explain patterns in the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by a power of 10. Use whole number
exponents to denote powers of 10.
Fifth Grade Common Core Standard Mathematics
Number & Operations in Base Ten 5.NBT.3
Read and write decimals to thousandths using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form.