These Common Core aligned reading exit slips/ tickets are designed to promote student reflection and critical thinking. They also encourage more focus and accountability during independent reading time, as readers are required to thoughtfully respond to reading. This set consists of 68 thought provoking questions and tasks related to Reading Genres.
The questions and tasks relate to strategies such as: informational text, biographies, fables, science fiction, and more! Each page consists of 4 related assignments, which makes it easy to just print and pass out one sheet per week.
Teachers save 25% by purchasing the Reading Exit Slips Bundle
A suggestion for using Reading Genres Exit Slips with your class:
1. If you teach using the Reader’s Workshop model, decide on a skill you’d like your readers to practice during independent reading time. Introduce and explain the assignments before sending readers to their reading spots. Have them quickly cut out and attach the slip to their reading response journals. It’s helpful for students to have their notebooks with them as they read, as they may complete the assignment during (or after, if your prefer) independent reading time.
2. Readers take approximately 5-10 minutes to complete the task. (These slips are also great to use with guided reading and strategy groups!)
3. At the end of reader’s workshop or independent reading time, students share with the class, in small groups, or with a partner. This brings reading time to a close.
Included with this resource:
- “My Reading Response Notebook” cover
- “Reading Genres” cover (for gluing into notebook; also helpful for separating different reading sets in notebooks)
- 68 questions or tasks
~For personal and single classroom use only.~