This STUDENT DIRECTED lesson for grades 6 - 8 is a weekly, student-written letter to document reading of literature. It boosts reading comprehension in 4 ways:
1. Students read every day
2. They must recall what they have read
3. They must write a weekly letter according to the elements of literature
4. They assess their own paper, using the provided scoring guide before they turn it in for the teacher assessment
This lesson is CC aligned for those teachers that need an alignment. If you don't, then please disregard the alignment and have fun teaching reading and writing.
This lesson includes:
1. The lesson plan
2. The elements of literature to guide the students
3. A sample letter for the students to use as a guide
4. A friendly letter rubric to be used as a guide
5. The student/teacher assessed scoring guide
6. The CC alignment
Check out my lesson for Informational Reading Comprehension Booster
, so your students will be able to retain more information from their textbooks and expository reading.