Do you need engaging and low-prep reading centers for upper elementary? This resource includes 19 reading test prep centers that are rigorous and engaging.
The set includes:
- 6 fiction stories
- 4 poems
- 6 informational texts
- 3 paired texts
- Each center includes a passage and a themed board game.
- The board game includes 10 text-dependent questions written on the actual board game.
- The center also includes an answer key with example answers.
- The students roll a die to move around the board, answering the questions they land on.
- Each game consists of a variety of text-dependent questions that vary from standards/skills-specific questions to comprehension questions.
- In the file (and in the preview), you will find a skills alignment that shows specific skills that are reviewed for each reading game. This can be used to ensure you do not use a game with a skill that your students have not mastered yet. Please not that there will be other questions included but these are the questions pertaining to specific skills and standards that, depending on your students, may need to be explicitly taught.
***If you are looking for centers that just focus on comprehension (versus standards and skills), click here.
These reading games would work great for reading test prep centers, reading stations, and partner reading.
Here are a few options for using these reading games in you classroom:
Print the passage for the students and give it to them at the beginning of the week. Have the students read the passage prior to going to the center. Then when they come to the center, they are ready to play the “game” and answer the questions. The passage could even be read whole group or sent home for homework.
This option works well if the students will have a chance to go to the center 2-3 times a week. The first day, the students will read the passage and discuss. Then on the 2nd or 3rd day, the students will “play” the game.
I have also included several options for how the students will play the game for you to choose from. You can check these out as well as a closer look at the centers in the preview file.
Click here to see more Fiction Reading Centers.
Click here to see more Informational Reading Centers.
Click here to see Paired Passage Reading Centers.
Click here to see Poetry Reading Centers.
Test prep doesn't have to be boring with these fun reading test prep centers!