Motivate your students to read through the genres by using The Genre Gold Rush Program! The Genre Gold Rush is a fun, simple encouragement program that motivates readers to read a variety of genres.
Twelve genres are featured in the program:
5. Historical Fiction
6. Humorous Fiction
10. Realistic Fiction
11. Science Fiction
12. Traditional Literature
Here’s how the program works:
1. Students learn about different genres. Posters are included as a reference. These may be used to teach, then displayed in the classroom.
2. Students learn what it means to be a “Rich Reader”. (Poster Included)
3. Students learn how to become a “Rich Reader”. (Poster included)
4. Students become “Rich Readers” by reading a variety of genres. Each time a reader reads a book, s/he completes a summary about the book and turns it in to the teacher.
5. The teacher uses the Genre Gold rubric to grade the summary.
6. If the student earns a satisfactory grade on the summary, s/he earns a $100 Genre Gold bar.
7. Students keep a ring of “Genre Gold”, becoming richer and richer as they read more genres!
Of course, you can tweak it by making it competitive, offering prizes for sale, or rewarding the class with an occasional popcorn party to celebrate their progress. Additional incentives are not required, however. Sharing a genuine enthusiasm for reading is often enough to motivate students!
You will need a binder ring for each student. After copying the Genre Gold bars, laminate them for durability and cut them out. (If you choose to save ink and copy on colored paper, it’s helpful to stick to the same color for each genre. For example, if you copy the mystery bars in green, always copy them in green.)
Each time a student earns a Genre Gold bar, hole punch and place on the ring. Students may keep up with their Genre Gold themselves or all rings can be hung by pushpins on a bulletin board, along with selected posters, to make a cute display.
Encourage your students to set reading goals each month and add to their Must Read list when they discover a book they’d love to read.
Here's what's included:
1. Teacher Information and Instructions
2. Genre Gold Poster (color)
3. Genre Gold Poster (black and white)
4. Rich Readers Posters (color and black and white)
5. 13 Full Page Reading Genre Posters (color; includes List of Genres Poster)
6. 12 Reading Genre Cards (color)
7. Genre Gold bars for each genre (color)
8. Genre Gold bars for each genre (black and white)
9. Reading Log
10. Must Read List
11. Genre Gold Graph
12. Teacher Tracking Log
13. Book Summary Rubric
14. Summary Pages
See the preview for a few sample pages from this resource!
I hope you choose to download this product. If you do and find it helpful, please leave a great rating, follow me, and check out the other products in my store. Thank you!
~For personal and single classroom use only.~