Also included in
- Provide engaging, visual layers of accountability during independent reading. This independent reading accountability bundle contains SIX ways to help students grow as readers. Track reading progress, volume, book diet, and book fit while providing creative alternatives to the dreaded reading log.It$11.25$12.50Save $1.25
Are your students compliant about independent reading during the day, but you don't necessarily see their enthusiasm spreading into the type of reading habit where they read for pleasure outside of class? The more time students spend reading, the more they know! Creating a reading habit that sticks can be challenging, but it's important that we allow students space to get to know themselves as readers and to prioritize their reading lives.
1. Suggested Use
2. Reading Habits Student Tip Sheet
3. Reading Habits Goal-Setting Page
4. Reading Habits Mini Lesson Sketch Notes Template
5. 13 Reading Habits Posters
Use the tip sheet, sketch note template, goal-setting page, and reading habit posters included in this reading activity resource to begin a conversation with students about lifelong reading. Even if they haven't already established a reading habit, it's not too late to start today.
Students are busy...how can we help them find time in the day read? How can we help them understand that reading is more than tests and comprehension questions? How can we help them adopt a positive reading identity, build their reading volume, and truly read for pleasure?
Whether you're an educator or a guardian, this reading activity will give you ideas for supporting students as they grow in their reading journeys. Use it a mini lesson, a discussion starter, a handout for meet-the-teacher night, a literacy center activity, or however you choose. Creating a reading habit matters.
Suggestion: Pair this reading activity with a Why Read? lesson to incorporate research about the value of reading.
NOTE: This resource is a secure PDF.
Looking for similar resources?
Support students instructionally using these differentiated tools:
- Independent Reading Program
- Scaffolded Reading Graphic Organizers and Mini lessons
- Reading Culture Bulletin Boards
- Scaffolded One Pagers
And more here!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.