This is a rubric that I use to evaluate my reading partnerships during our first unit of study (Building Good Habits). It is a four level rubric: Outstanding, Proficient, Emergent, Needs Improvement. It addressed the following focus skills:
- Are they thinking about who did what where?
- Are they coaching one another to solve tricky words using learned strategies?
- Are they looking at both the picture and the book to get a feel for the story, and revising their mental image when need be?
- Are they considering what changed over the course of the story?
- When they retell, are the sharing what happened at the beginning, middle, and end of their books?
It is common core aligned to the following first grade standards, but can also be adapted for K and 2nd grade standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.2 Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.7 Use illustrations and details in a story to describe its characters, setting, or events.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.4c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 1 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1a Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion)
I hope you find this tool helpful!