- This resource contains 20 reading comprehension passages (5 technical texts, 4 historical texts, 4 scientific texts, 5 poems, and 2 dramas). Following each passage, there are six multiple-choice comprehension questions. The comprehension questions vary with each passage, which allows your students t$11.99$19.98Save $7.99
- This reading passages bundle is ideal for test prep! It contains 60 reading comprehension passages (32 nonfiction passages, 17 fiction passages, 8 poems, and 3 dramas). Beneath each passage, there are usually six multiple choice comprehension questions. (However, two of the poems contain 9 questions$24.99$49.95Save $24.96
- Product Description
This resource contains 20 reading comprehension passages (5 technical texts, 4 historical texts, 4 scientific texts, 5 poems, and 2 dramas). Beneath each passage, there are six multiple choice comprehension questions. These reading passages can be used in so many ways! Some options include using them as a test prep activity, as morning work or homework, or as part of a small group lesson.
In this set, I chose to focus on technical, scientific, and historical texts since these are stressed in the Common Core State Standards R.I.3.3, R.I.4.3, and R.I.5.3.
Technical topics include using a hammer, compost, winter survival, baking homemade bread, and sorting laundry. The first three of these passages fall into the 610-800 lexile range, while the last two fall into the 810-1000 lexile range.
Historical topics include The Little Rock Nine, the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, the Piltdown Man hoax, and traffic lights. All four of these passages fall into the 810-1000 lexile range.
Scientific texts include chlorine, type 1 diabetes, comets, and monotremes. All four of these passages fall into the 810-1000 lexile range.
The comprehension questions vary with each passage, which allows your students the opportunity to review several reading skills at once.
The skills targeted in these passages include:
- Context Clues (19 passages)
- Citing Text Evidence (17)
- Cause and Effect (13)
- Figurative Language/Literary Devices (8)
- Main Idea & Supporting Details (7)
- Drawing Conclusions (7)
- Compare & Contrast (6)
- Affixes (6)
- Poetry Patterns (5)
- Sequence (5)
- Author's Tone (4)
- Summarizing (4)
- Elements of Drama (4)
- Elements of Poetry (3)
- Text Features (3)
- Text Structures (3)
- Synonyms and Antonyms (2)
- Greek and Latin Roots (2)
- Author's Perspective (2)
- Author's Purpose (2)
- Inference (2)
- Genre (1)
- Point of View (1)
You can also purchase the self-checking digital version of these passages, which uses Google Forms. It is ideal for distance learning situations! Click HERE to view that option.
CHECK OUT THE PREVIEW!!
Don't miss my other sets of reading passages! Click on the links below to check them out!
If you are looking for passages written for third grade readers, click here!
Copyright by Deb Hanson
*This resource cannot be edited.*
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
As such, it is for use in one classroom only. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!