Remember all those magazine quizzes we took as teens? This reading personality test is styled after those quizzes. Students LOVE this activity! It's a fun, no-prep way to help students identify which reading genres are best for them.
If you only want the elementary version (grades 3-6), click here.
If you only want the secondary version (grades 6-10), click here.
I completely revamped the secondary PowerPoint to make it more mature for older students. Clip art and color schemes are completely changed. If you have the previous version of the secondary version, you will want to download the update. The genre cards, printable quiz, elementary PowerPoint quiz also got a minor face lift. This product has developed and grown much in the past few years, and I update it annually. If you purchase at today's price, you will lock in today's price and receive all future updates FREE.
- --54 slides total, all text is
- . One side is the genre personality description; the other side is a list of recommended book titles; sorted by age group (early elementary, upper-elementary, middle school, high school and beyond). All the bookmarks are in PowerPoint. PDF is of each is also included. (45 pages, editable)
- --You can use these instead of the PowerPoint presentation--I've used these with my classes, and they are FABULOUS! It was a lot easier on me, and the lesson went a little faster than it does with the PowerPoint.--2 pages for each quiz (4 pages, editable)
- --3 pages each for MS/HS and ES (6 pages, editable)
- --Needed if you use the printable quiz. The PowerPoint includes separate slides for each genre personality (1 page, not editable)
Both versions include 12 personality questions, but the elementary version has simpler language and includes some modified answer choices. For example, "The Romantic" genre personality for secondary is "The Bestie" (focusing on friendship rather than romance) for elementary.
- The Questioner
- The Escapist
- The Innovator
- The Realist
- The History Buff
- The Thrill-Seeker
- The Comedian
- The Bestie (elementary only)
- The Romantic (MS/HS only)
- The Activist
- Right now, you would rather be...
- You read because...
- You love movies that...
- Pick a career...
- You love movies that... (different set of answer choices)
- Choose a place...
- You'd like to meet...
- Which sounds interesting...
- Pick a pet...
- Pick some clothes...
- What's in your backpack?
- Which emoji best represents you?
Each genre personality is described on its own slide at the end. Multiple genre recommendations are given for each genre personality.
- Elementary version recommended for: Grades 3-6
- Secondary version recommended for: Grades 6-10
- 54 (27 slides in each presentation, all editable)
- : 55, all editable
- : computer + projector + screen or wall (to use the PowerPoint) OR copier + paper (printable quiz)
- : pen or pencil + one piece of paper
- : 45 minutes (you could delete 2-3 questions if you have less time, or use the included printable quiz instead)
I regularly add new products for school librarians and English teachers, particularly at the secondary level, to my store.
All my new products are half-off for the first 48 hours! Take advantage of the "First 48 Half-Off" by following my store at the top of this page. Look for the green "Follow" link under my store name. Following my store will give you notifications of when new products are posted. I also post all my new products to my MrsReaderPants FaceBook page and on my blog.