Guided reading just got a bit more interesting! Dress up in your favorite doctor gear for this way of doing a reading conference or guided reading!- I guarantee that your students will love meeting with the doctor during their “routine” reading check up!
Turn your typical reading conference/guided reading group into a “office visit” where you give a diagnosis for each patient and write a prescription to diagnose a “cure” for each student’s reading aliments. For example, one student might have “reading race-itis” because they have the tendency to race through every book they read without really thinking about what they are reading. As a result, they need a daily boost of medication to cure their symptoms. One common remedy for this type of illness might be to stop after every chapter and write a sticky note about what they were thinking as they were reading.
This would be fun to do during a goal setting session, the end of the quarter, during a review of data, or even during a typical guided reading lesson/reading conference.
This resource includes the following:
1. Directions, ideas, and pictures for implementation
2. Colorful printables to post in your “doctor’s office.” Display your office hours, patients you will be seeing that day, and welcome signs.
3. Possible reading diagnoses for some common reading ailments, such as Reading Blues, Reading Race-itis, Decoding-itis, Reading Rash, and Base Case of Books.
4. Reading doctor prescriptions printables- Examples, pictures, and directions for how to write a “cure” for your patients
5. Guided reading, reading conference, and anecdotal notes forms- Attach these to a clip board to use for your patients during their office visit
6. Guided reading and reading conference “goodies” for a compliant patient- After meeting with your patients, you might consider rewarding them with a lollipop, a “bravery” certificate, or a special note home!
7. Reading doctor art project/bulletin board project- An adorable art project to display on your bulletin board! Includes reading kit templates, prescription, and pictures of a finished project.
** Important note- This file is also included in my Guided Reading Binder file! Per multiple customer requests, I am also selling this resource separately. **