- This bundle of literacy centers for first grade is an organized, carefully-designed system that will help you teach independence AND engage kids in meaningful literacy practice activities. You can FINALLY stop the endless search for literacy centers and have all your materials in ONE place!This bund$73.00$108.50Save $35.50
This reading response resource for first grade includes lesson plans, printable activities for all year long, and kid-friendly directions!
This resource provides an organized system for managing a reading response center. The materials will help you teach independence AND engage your first grade students in meaningful reading response activities like:
- Drawing and writing to answer comprehension questions
- Creating book reviews and recommendations to share with their peers
- Making a “Character Scrapbook” to record information about a favorite character
- Creating nonfiction lapbooks to demonstrate learning
These materials are very flexible and can be used many different ways -- as independent work, in centers (reading response center, writing center, or as part of D5), or as whole-class activities.
Students do NOT have to be strong readers and writers in order to be successful with these activities!
This resource is for you if you want to:
- Have students respond to texts in a variety of meaningful, developmentally-appropriate ways
- Help students REMEMBER what they should be drawing/writing about with instructions videos that read them the prompt and an example response
- Get students excited about books and independent reading by having them recommend books to each other
- Easily differentiate activities to meet a range of needs
- Give your students kid-friendly directions so they don’t forget how to do each activity
- Get organized with a schedule for introducing materials throughout the year
- Stop spending hours searching for reading response activities - and have everything you need in one place!
This resource may not be for you if:
- You are looking for general writing center activities that do not include reading response (you can find writing center materials HERE)
Here’s what’s included:
- 10 lesson plans to teach procedures and routines for responding to texts through drawing and writing
- An editable schedule you can use to plan your reading response activities throughout the year
- Planning and writing tools (sentence starters to help students plan their work with a partner, vocabulary poster for writing about text, transition words poster, and reading response checklists and rubrics)
- Printable reading response activities, the majority of which require little to no prep (see the list below for more details)
- 270 total pages of materials (carefully organized into separate, smaller files, with an instructions video and photos)
All of the following activities include introductory lesson plans and kid-friendly directions:
- 22 different prompt sheets (+ versions with sentence starters + example responses + a video for each prompt that reads students the prompt and an example response)
- 12 different options for opinion writing about books (reviews, recommendations, posters, a flip book, book talks) + an example for each one
- “Character Scrapbook” template for having students record information about a character while reading or listening to books in a series
- Nonfiction lapbooks project (a template for animal “research” + a template for any nonfiction topic)
- “Book Club” materials for having students read a text, respond to a question on one of the templates, and then discuss the text in a small group setting with other students who read the same text
If you’d like to incorporate technology, digital templates and instructions for the prompts and book reviews/recommendations are included.
Please view the FREE preview file before you purchase! I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have in the Q&A section or at Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com.
Looking for more literacy center activities for first grade? Read about my complete literacy centers bundle for 1st grade HERE!