This project has it all - Reading, Writing, Art, Language, Expression, Presentation! Students will begin by choosing an independent reading book at their reading level. After reading the book, students will write a 'Review Quote' (book teaser summary with theme) to promote the book. Next, they will create either a DVD Case or a Movie Poster to promote the book through images as well as words. The final product can be displayed in your classroom, hallway displays, or as part of a gallery in which you promote the books to other students!
This unit spans over a month, but only includes 6-7 class periods. There are dozens of suggestions for modifying and differentiating this lesson for students at all levels, from heavy support needed to extension ideas. Your readers, writers, artists, and techies will all find this project creative and challenging!
* Common Core Standards for grades 8-12 including English Language Arts and Literacy in All Subjects
* Essential Questions
* Project Description Student Handout
* Sample Writing 'Review Quotes' with "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen and "The Giver" by Lois Lowry
* 2 Sample DVD Cases with "Peak" by Roland Smith, and "Graceling" by Kristin Cashore
* 1 Sample Movie Poster
* Word Spectrum - 'interesting' to 'boring' - 65 synonyms students can incorporate into their writing
* 5 Pages of lesson plans and teacher tips including guided writing, peer review, modeling, small and whole group discussion.
To learn more about this unit, and to download a DVD template that your students can use, please visit my Blog Post here
I loved teaching this unit and collaborating with our school's Art and 21st Century teachers. We found that this unit hits on a LOT of Common Core Standards and curricular goals, which was a huge plus! By working together, we strengthened student learning and participation. Students have told us that this was their favorite project all year!
Please download and enjoy!
This unit addresses the following Common Core Standards:
© 2013 Kristen Dembroski. All rights reserved. Purchase of this unit entitles the purchaser only the right to reproduce the pages in limited quantities for classroom use only. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system or commercial purposes is strictly forbidden.
Copying any part of this product and placing it on the internet in any form (even a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). These items can be located in a Google search and then shared worldwide for free.