A reading response activity that can be used as reading assignments, a reading response journal, and so much more. Use in a variety of ways in your classroom. Here are just a few suggestions of how you can utilize these reading responses:
- Assign students a written response at the end of each chapter or two while studying a class novel.
- Use the journal to hold students accountable for books they read independently.
- Have students use the prompts to write book report assignments.
- Assign a weekly writing assignment focused on your current unit of study and allow students the freedom to choose what they want to answer.
We want to give students the FREEDOM to CHOOSE what they want to write about. It also makes grading less redundant when you are reading various responses from your students!
In addition to the journal, you are also provided with a rubric and academic vocabulary terms to help students with writing their responses. We have included a visual with instructions for how to use the Reading Response Journal in your classroom.
This Reading Response Journal is perfect for any unit of study for grades 2-4 (even 1st if you have strong writers!).
* Please note, the duration of this activity completely depends how you choose to use it in your classroom. This could be useful for anywhere from one unit of study all the way up to an entire quarter's worth of written responses. *
ALSO FROM EB ACADEMIC CAMPS:
Personalized Close Reading Strategies Bookmarks
Reading Response Quilt
Reading Response Journal
by EB Academic Camps
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License