Reading Response Journal: For Any Novel, Printable & Digital Bundle
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Products in this Bundle (2)
This Reading Response Journal covers 24 reading skills and can be used with any book! Perfect for novel studies, literature circles, independent reading novels, or responding to read-alouds. Keep students engaged, hold them accountable, and cover more than 20 reading, literature, and writing standards with this reading journal that can be used over and over again!
With this , you get both a printable PDF and digital slides, making this resource perfect for any combination of in-class instruction, distance learning, hybrid learning, asynchronous learning, at-home learning, or independent student-directed learning.
Digital pages are available in Google Slides™, which can be pushed to Google Classroom™ or Microsoft OneDrive™ (instructions included).
Questions, journal prompts, graphic organizers, and guided writing assignments build comprehension, critical thinking, analysis, and metacognition skills, helping students think deeply and write about their reading and about elements of literature, which research indicates is one of the most effective ways we can help students. Best of all, a choice of writing prompts on every journal page allows this resource to be used over and over again throughout the year while keeping students engaged!
USE THIS READING JOURNAL WITH:
- Literature Circles
- Independent Reading
- Whole-Class Novel Studies
- Reading Groups
- SSR (Silent Sustained Reading)
- DEAR (Drop Everything and Read)
- Identifying Setting
- Comparing & Contrasting
- Identifying Protagonist and Antagonist
- Point of View
- Conflict & Resolution
- Static vs. Dynamic Characters
- Making Connections
- Asking Questions
- Sequencing Events
- Vocabulary Study
- Plot Diagram, including exposition, conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution
THIS READING RESPONSE JOURNAL INCLUDES:
- Guidelines for students
- 2 model pages
- Journal cover
- 12 journal pages
- 8 author's craft (elements of literature) pages
- Book review activities
- Reading log for students
- Record sheet for teachers
- Grading rubrics (4-point and 10-point scales), learning objectives, and teaching tips
- Students choose between 2 - 3 prompts on every journal page
- Definitions provided for challenging words
- Scaffolded models using a range of reading levels
- Easy-to-read fonts and non-distracting aesthetics
- Some prompts include drawing responses
- Follow Literary Sherri on TpT
- Newsletter with Exclusive Freebies
- FB Community for 6-12 ELA Teachers
- Literary Sherri Blog
THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!
If you find this resource useful for your students, please help other teachers find it, also, by leaving feedback.
If this resource can be revised to better meet your students' needs, please reach out to me via my email or Q&A tab.
GET TpT CREDIT TO USE ON FUTURE PURCHASES:
- Go to your My Purchases page.
- Click 'Provide Feedback' to leave a rating and a short comment.
- Earn TpT credits to redeem on future purchases!
I'm over-the-moon happy to create resources for you and your students! Thank you for stopping by.
Questions? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Literary Sherri www.literarysherri.co
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use by one teacher only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only by one teacher only.
Please purchase one license per teacher using this resource.
© Google Inc.™ All rights reserved. Google™ and the Google Logo are registered trademarks of Google Inc.™ Literary Sherri® is an independent company and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Google Inc.™