Reading Response Journal Prompts for Any Novel (Set 1) - Distance Learning
Also included in
- Wanting to create or enhance an independent reading program? Literature circles, intervention lessons, book club, choice reading arrangements? Creating the materials can be overwhelming, but reading choice is crucial to students' growth as readers, perceptions of their abilities, engagement in classPrice $35.00Original Price $47.48Save $12.48
- Write routinely for a variety of purposes. Wait, what does that mean?! Students need to write more than we can grade…more than we can read! To become strong writers, volume and frequency matter, just like with reading. These reading response journal questions are prompts that present a flexible wayPrice $8.10Original Price $9.00Save $0.90
Need a way to hold students accountable for choice reading? Whether you're using literature circles, a book club format, or some other type of independent reading program, these digital reading response journal prompts will keep students engaged while allowing them an avenue to share what they are comprehending from their books.
Research shows that asking students to write about what they are reading is one of the most beneficial activities we can ask students to do. And, that's exactly what these prompts can help to accomplish.
The twenty prompts in these reading response journals are geared toward a variety of types of novels. You'll find prompts that will work with fiction as well as some that would be equally appropriate for nonfiction. Plus, they cover a wide range of literature and writing standards.
These reading response journal prompts are engaging, versatile, and will encourage students to thoughtfully reflect on what they have read while making connections, inferring, analyzing, evaluating, and more.
Students are encouraged to use textual evidence to support their responses, and based upon their writing, you will have a window into how they are processing their novel. As such, these prompts work well as springboards for conferring with students about their choice reading novels.
- Suggested use
- Grading guidance and built-in rubric for teacher convenience and student self-assessment
- 20 engaging and thought-provoking reading response journal prompts
- A digital version in Google Slides format
- A secure PDF version
- An editable version of the prompts in PPT with basic fonts
Journal topics range from thematic concepts to personal responses and from social-media to reading strategies.
These prompts are appropriate for junior high or high school students. I space them out throughout the course of the year, using 2 or 3 each month, to track students' reading pace and comprehension, but they can also be used more regularly as a daily digital reading reflection for distance learning.
IS IT EDITABLE?
This resource is not editable in that the font and clipart is secured on each Google Slides document. However, you can change the slide backgrounds, add additional slides, or remove some to fit your needs.
***This lesson is available as part of a larger INDEPENDENT READING BUNDLE.
You may also be interested in these fiction and nonfiction discussion task cards for independent reading.
Want to know more about running a full-choice book club? Read this post on my blog for more information on how I make independent reading enjoyable for older students without sacrificing rigor and accountability.Looking for more unique ELA reading teacher materials? Find them here!
***RELATED RESOURCE: JOURNAL RESPONSE PROMPTS FOR ANY POEM
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.