I have been using Reading Response Notebook Toppers in my classroom since the beginning of the year, with great success. They have helped my students to focus their responses, and have helped me to save paper! My students keep all of their reading responses in one place– their Reader’s Notebooks. My students glue them into their notebooks when we begin a new whole-class novel or read-aloud, and then they are set to respond for the next few weeks. I also provide my students with word lists and sentence frames to help them write thorough and meaningful responses.
Included in this product…
- 12 Notebook Toppers
- 12 Printable Organizers (whole-page versions of the Notebook Toppers)
- 2 Word Lists (character traits, themes)
- 6 Sentence Frame Lists (summarizing, asking questions, making connections, drawing inferences, cause & effect, citing evidence)
- ACE (Answer, Cite, Explain) Reading Response Printable- to use to answer Text-Dependent Questions.
- Samples of Evidence-Based Questions
How to use Notebook Toppers…
1. Choose the skills you want to focus on.
2. Copy Notebook Toppers (there are 3 to a page)
3. Copy word lists or sentence frames to accompany each skill.
4. Have students glue word lists or sentence frames and Notebook Toppers into their notebooks (Notebook Toppers should be glued at the top of the page)
5. Students should then draw vertical lines to continue the format.
6. Students begin their responses. After each response, students should draw a horizontal line to leave room for the next response, creating an organized chart.
7. Optional: Students use reading responses to answer Text-Dependent Questions.
Notebook Toppers (and Printables):
2. Asking Questions
3. Making Connections
4. Making Predictions
5. Character Traits
8. Drawing Inferences
10. Conflict & Resolution
11. Cause & Effect
12. Context Clues
Common Core Standard Alignment:
- 3rd Grade: RL.3.1, RL.3.2, RL.3.3, RL.3.4
- 4th Grade: RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.3, RL.4.4
- 5th Grade: RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3
Please view my extensive preview file for more details.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.