This CCSS-aligned Reading Response Project enables students to creatively respond to their reading. Over the course of the project, students will create a two-page newspaper complete with a main event lead news story, character profile, editorial book review, setting highlight, and even a comic, obituary or advice column. For each element of the newspaper, students complete guided pre-writes. Then, they write rough drafts for each piece of the newspaper. Finally, after editing and revising their work, students create final copy articles and illustrations for their paper. The final product is a two page newspaper that’s an outstanding representation of their comprehension and a great addition to any writing portfolio.
This project is easily adaptable for use as a response to a class-wide novel study, independent reading project, or summer reading project.
Common Core Aligned Project:
- RL.1, RL.2, RL.3, RL.6, RL.10
- W.3, W.4, W.5, W.6, W.10
- L.1, L.2, L.3, L.5, L.6
Skills developed in this project:
- Developing understanding of a variety of genres
- Comprehension and analytic skills
- Plot, setting, and character analysis
- Critical thinking
- Editing and revising written responses to improve content and organization as well as spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Incorporating voice in writing
This detailed project includes:
- Project Overview
- Student Packet
- Project example and instructions
- Newspaper planning resources
- Newspaper rough draft materials
- Final copy instructions and resources
- Detailed evaluation rubric
You may also like…
Independent Reading Program
Poetry Analysis Unit
Speech Analysis Unit
--- Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction