Standards based reading responses do not have to be boring! The Best Ever Reading Responses for Secondary ELA cover many of the major Reading Literature and Reading Informational Text standards, but they're also tons of fun! You're students are going to LOVE these 5 engaging reading response projects!
- The Paper Airplane Book Report: The most engaging book report EVER, students add protagonist passengers on one side and antagonist characters on the other. Students also analyze character development, the development of theme, and the impact of setting. Instead of presenting their book reports, students fly them! On the due date, students fly airplanes to a classmate. Classmates read each other's airplanes and share them with the class.
- Nothing But Numbers: Students share numerical facts from their novels and display them in a creative way. Students analyze the number's significance using text based evidence to support their analysis.
- We Are Different, but We Are the Same: Students make text to text, text to self, and text to world and history connections and display them in a creative way. Students support their ideas using text based evidence.
- Strange But True: Students share eight strange but true facts about their novels. Students share text based evidence to prove that although each fact is strange, it's actually true in their novel!
- Literary Fact or Fiction: Students choose to share an unbelievable fact from their novels OR create a fiction that seems to be true on the outside of this lift-the-flap activity and display. On the inside, students write the truth: is the tidbit really fact or is it fiction created by the student? Display these fun reading responses and ask classmates to read as many fact or fictions and make their guesses. This engaging responses is a great way to introduce students to lots of great YA titles!