This highly engaging and effective set of This or That Reading Response Prompts
includes 40 reading prompt choices on 20 creative handouts. Each This or That Reading Prompt includes instruction (at the top of the worksheet) and then 2 reading response choices for students to showcase their learning. After reviewing each choice, students can choose to do the “This” activity or the “That” activity. The choices promote engagement and tap into multiple learning styles. They’re also fun to complete! Students have the opportunity to create top 10 lists, write emails to characters, award certificates, and more! All 20 of the This or That Reading Response Activities
can be taught with a single text or used throughout the year.
What makes these reading response activities special?
• This or That Reading Response Prompts are designed to provide students with fun and creative ways to respond to their reading.
• After reviewing each prompt choice, students can choose to do the “This” reading prompt or the “That” reading prompt. Both will require students to think critically about the book or story they are reading.
• The choices promote more engagement for students and tap into multiple learning styles so that students have more opportunities to be successful.
• The prompts themselves are designed to encourage creativity as well. Each prompt is designed to be engaging for students.
• All 20 of the This or That Reading Prompts can be used with one novel or with different texts throughout the year.
• They give students an opportunity to share their thoughts and interpretations about their reading in creative ways while building their reading comprehension.
• The “This or That” Reading Prompts are SO versatile. They make great warm-ups during a literature unit, work well as homework assignments, serve as wonderful centers/stations activities, or add to current literature units.
Why do teachers and students love the This or That Reading Response Prompts?
The This or That Reading Prompts are effective because they…
• Tap into multiple learning styles
• Build natural differentiation into each prompt
• Can be used with any type of literature – so versatile!
• Are super simple to implement
• Extremely motivating
• Address a wide range of reading comprehension skills
Reading Response Prompt Activities...
• Sentence Starters
• Illustrate with Textual Evidence
• Character Analysis
• Making Judgments
• Change Analysis
• Compare and Contrast
• Reading Response Prompts
• Imagine It!
• Email It!
• Visual Imagery
• Making Connections
• Opinions and Support
• Give a Gift
• What if?
• Make a List
• Written Response
• Character Switch-Up
• Letter Writing
This resource includes
• This or That Reading Response Prompts Overview (for teachers)
• About, Benefits, Assessment, and Implementation Overview (for teachers)
• This or That Reading Response Guide (for students)
• How To Complete a This or That Reading Prompt (for students)
• Textual Evidence Guide (for students)
• Reading Response Rubric
• 20 This or That Warm Ups (with 40 activities)
You might also like...
This or That Daily ELA Warm-Ups – Set 1
Speech Analysis Unit ---
Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
"Casey at the Bat" Unit
Figurative Language Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Brain Waves Instruction