A list of activities and ideas for responding to books. These could be used in a variety of ways:
1. As a learning centre activity at any point when students finish reading a book.
2. As an ongoing project where students choose from the list, covering different areas across the whole year.
3. To respond to a shared text the whole class has read – students could choose one or two activities to complete.
4. As an extension for students who need stretching.
5. As homework tasks.
6. To check understanding of books read and build accountability into reading.
7. To create interest in reading.
8. To create interesting classroom displays for student work.
9. To give students choice in their learning and the way they respond to texts.
10. To meet other learning goals for the class (eg creating various text types, outcomes from the Arts curriculum, to stimulate discussion).