Make reading fun with this set of Doodle Notes and creative Reading Response Sheets! This resource is designed to first teach students about 6 different reading strategies with fun Doodle Notes. Then, students can showcase their learning with creative reading response sheets all year long!
Get students excited about reading and responding to texts with this resource! First, students will learn about different reading strategies by completing super fun Doodle Notes. They’ll learn about visualizing, questioning, connecting, predicting, clarifying and evaluating with each Doodle Note worksheet. Doodle notes make learning reading strategies so much fun! They’ll learn about the purpose of each strategy, tips for using the strategy and even practice the strategy with mini-passages on the doodle notes. After students have learned about the strategies, it’s time to put their learning into practice. That’s where the sets of reading response activities come in! This resource includes 4 reading response worksheets for each reading strategy…and at two different grade level ranges. The reading response sheets align with each strategy and require students to respond to their reading in a creative, targeted way! This resource is not only engaging, it’s also the perfect way to build stronger readers in your classroom!
About Doodle Notes
You’ll find 24 different Doodle Notes pages about 6 reading strategies in this resource! Four versions of each Reading Strategy Doodle Notes are included! Which means that you can easily customize instruction for your own classroom and differentiate learning for your students!
• Grades 3-5 – Filled-in doodle notes
• Grades 3-5 – Guided notes version of the doodle notes
• Grades 6-8 – Filled-in doodle notes
• Grades 6-8 – Guided notes version of the doodle notes
With the doodle notes, students will color, doodle, and/or embellish the notes pages as they learn about each reading strategy. These notes help students to increase their understanding, focus, and retention of the reading skills. Just choose the version that works best for your students, and get teaching (and doodling)!
About Reading Responses
The creative reading responses align with each reading strategy. Therefore, you’ll find 4 different responses for the 6 reading strategies (visualizing, evaluating, connecting, clarifying, predicting, and questioning). There are 24 reading response pages for grades 3-5 and 24 more response pages for grades 6-8 (48 in all). Having the responses at different levels means that you can pick and choose the right reading responses for your entire class or individual students!
The pages are designed to be cut in ½ for easy copying! Plus, you could have students glue the response pages into a notebook and create a Reading Response Notebook for the year!
The Doodle Notes and Reading Response Sheets are SUPER VERSATILE! There are so many ways to use them in your classroom! They could be used as part of an independent reading program, reading clubs with small groups of students, whole-class instruction, reading notebooks, students’ choice, literacy centers, and book projects. (Learn more in the preview for this resource.)
Everything you need to successfully teach and use the reading strategies and responses in your classroom are included in this resource!
• Detailed overview – 6 pages of detailed notes and ideas for teaching and implementing these into your classroom
• Textual Evidence Handout – Help students include textual evidence in their reading responses with this handout. It’s perfect for a mini-lesson and as a reference all year long!
• Grading Rubric – A 10-point rubric is included to evaluate each reading prompt!
• Teacher Directions – Reading Response Pages – Detailed directions for each reading response page is included for you!
• Reading Packet Covers – If you’d like to create reading packets for sets of reading response pages, there’s even 2 covers that students can use for their packets!
This detailed “Doodle and Do” resource includes:
• Reading Strategy Doodle Notes and Reading Responses Teacher Overview (6 Pages)
• Textual Evidence Handout
• 10-Point Grading Rubric
• Doodle Notes: Grades 3-5 Guided Notes, Grades 3-5 Filled-In Notes, Grades 6-8 Guided Notes, Grades 6-8 Filled-In Notes – Visualizing, Questioning, Predicting, Evaluating, Clarifying, Connecting (24 Pages)
• Reading Responses: 4 Reading Response pages for each strategy – 24 for grades 3-5 and 24 more for grades 6-8 (48 Pages)
• Teacher Directions for each set of reading response pages (12 pages)
Other Doodle and Do Resources…
5 Reading Skills Mini-Units
5 Nonfiction Text Structure Mini-Units
How to Study for a Test
Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
Writing Responses with Text-Based Evidence
Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
Doodle Book Review
Or, you may also like…
Narrative Writing Unit
Figurative Language Unit
12 Writing Units Bundle
- Writing instruction for an entire year!
No Copy Emergency Sub Plans
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction