This packet of reading skills and strategies was created to use with the book Mrs. Toggle's Zipper by Robin Pulver.
Each skill or strategy has multiple pages that are differentiated to fit the different needs of your students - you can have all your students working on the same skill but with a page that best fits their needs.
This packet is tailored to this book with specific questions of varying degrees of difficulty. Students will respond by drawing, circling answers, writing sentences and finding text evidence to support their thinking.
Included in the packet:
Directions and Common Core Standards for each skill and strategy. Plus ideas for extending the activities.
* Asking Questions - 7 pages
* Author's Point of View- 1 page
* Author's Purpose - 2 pages
* Beginning, Middle, End - 5 pages
* Cause and Effect - 8 pages + 1 keys
* Character Analysis - 3 pages
* Character Response - 4 pages
* Compare and Contrast - 3 pages
* Text-to-Self Connections - 3 pages
* Text-to-Text Connections - 2 pages
* Inference/Drawing Conclusion - 4 pages
* Fact and Opinion about bullying - 2 pages
* Main Idea and Details - 5 pages
* Plot - 4 pages
* Predicting - 3 pages
* Problem and Solution - 5 pages
* Sequencing - 9 pages + 2 keys
* Story Map - 3 pages
* Strong Thought - 3 pages
* Summarize - 1 page
* Visualize and writing "Visualize What Turkey was thinking" - 3 pages
* Genre - 4 pages
* Setting - 4 pages
* Beginning Letter color page - 1 page
Common Core Standards
K.RL.1, K.RL.2, K.RL.3, K.RL.6, K.RL.7, K.RL.9, K.RIT.8, K.SL.5, K.W.1, 1.RL.1, 1.RL.2, 1.RL.3, 1.RL.5, 1.RL.6, 1.RL.7, 1.RL.9, 1.RIT.8, 1.SL.4, 1.SL.5, 1.W.1, 2.RL.1, 2.RL.2, 2.RL.3, 2.RL.5, 2.RL.7, 2.RL.9, 2.RIT.8, 2.W.1, 3.RL.1, 3.RL.2
If you would like more information about this book and many others please visit my blog The Picture Book Teacher's Edition
Follow with BlogLovin’
Follow with Feedly
The PBT’s Edition Facebook page
The PBT's Edition Pinterest Boards
© Paper, graphics, borders & fonts created by Shawna Devoe 2013
**If you have problems downloading this or any product, please make sure you have a current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Shawna Devoe and The Picture Book Teacher’s Edition is the sole creator of this product, Mrs. Toggle’s Zipper by Robin Pulver Skills and Strategies, and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS or the WIDA ELD standards.